UNSETTLED CHRISTIANITY

Unsettled Christianity | 3/25/2019 | Staff
Caris (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://unsettledchristianity.com/wp-content/upLoads/2019/02/Upset-Jesus.jpg

Another pastoral letter has made it into the limelight recently. Between various pastors and Bishops, the question must now be asked if they are even aware of Methodist beliefs. This is concerning for many reasons, not the least of which is the reality that we no longer share the same basic belief structure. I hope that you took the time to read the above link as I will use it to demonstrate the trend. The claims made in this copy cat of a letter show the same pattern of thought that does not hold up under examination.

“There are only six verses in the Bible that seem to address homosexuality. ” This is an often repeated refrain that is technically true, but extremely misleading. There is a list of prohibited sexual practices in scripture. That list, as a whole, is what is commonly referred to as sexual immorality. Sexual immorality is mentioned a great deal in scripture, and that includes, but is not limited to, sex between two of the same gender. Removing one part of that list, then claiming it is barely mentioned, is an artificial separation not intended by the Biblical authors. That said, the letter goes on to examine these verses, so I shall as well.

Letter - Writer - Sodom - Story - Sodom

The letter writer brings up Sodom. He says the following: “This story of Sodom in Genesis 19 in reality is more about rape — sexual violence — than about homosexuality.” Again true, but misleading as it is not the entire truth. The prophets speak of the lack of hospitality of Sodom, and rightly so. The city was completely wicked in all of it’s ways. Part of that wickedness was, however, sexual immorality as we are told in Jude 1:7. ” A plain reading of the story in no way condemns a loving, consensual,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Unsettled Christianity
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: