What Does “In Jesus’ Name” Actually Mean?

Summit Life with J.D. Greear | 2/20/2019 | Staff
cv2angels (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://jdgreear.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/edward-cisneros-408848-unsplash-1-1-1.jpg

Christians will typically end their prayers by saying, “In Jesus’ name, Amen.” Yet most Christians don’t know what they mean when they say it. They think it is just a signal to God that they are about done. But that’s not the point. When you say, “In Jesus’ name,” you are saying, “I am asking for these things according to Jesus’ will, for his glory, and in his power.”

Christians - Prayers - Jesus - Name - Amen

Christians will typically end their prayers by saying, “In Jesus’ name, Amen.” Yet most Christians don’t know what they mean when they say it. They think it is just a signal to God that they are about done—the prayer equivalent of saying, “OK, I guess I’ll let you go! TTYL.”

But that’s not the point. When you say, “In Jesus’ name,” you are saying, “I am asking for these things according to Jesus’ will, for his glory, and in his power.”

Everything - Desk - Inbox - Day - Jesus

We should be able to say that over literally everything we do. When we sit down at our desk and open our inbox to start our day, we should say, “In Jesus’ name.” When we meet up with a friend for lunch, we should think, “In Jesus’ name.” When a person tries to merge in traffic ahead of us—yep, even then—“In Jesus’ name.” When we kiss our spouse when we get home from work: “In Jesus’ name.”

Now, we don’t have to start saying that at every turn—people think Christians are strange enough without us doing weird stuff like that. But we should think of every interaction as done in Jesus’ name—that is, first and foremost as an offering to him.

Paul - Church - Colossae - Word - Deed

Paul instructed the church in Colossae, “And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Summit Life with J.D. Greear
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Settled law: one party can't change a contract. Now if the Government, citizens and the Consstitution...
Tagged: