Zimbabwe Set To Retrieve Trapped Illegal Miners, More Casualties Expected

www.oann.com | 2/15/2019 | Staff
HARARE (Reuters) – Zimbabwean authorities are expected to start retrieving trapped illegal gold miners on Friday but none are expected to have survived flooding in the shafts and the number of casualties could be about 50, state media reported.

The accident in Battlefields, 175 km (109 miles) west of Harare, has highlighted the safety issues in illegal gold miners, who last year contributed significantly to the record bullion output of 33 tonnes in the southern African nation.

Miners - Tuesday - Night - Shafts - Dam

The miners were trapped on Tuesday night when the shafts they were working in were flooded after a nearby dam burst. Initial reports put the number at 23 but state media indicate there could be more than double that.

Some of the shafts were 100 meters deep and rescue teams from nearby mines and the Civil Protection Unit were pumping water from shafts and tunnels before recovering the estimated 50 men, The Herald newspaper said.

Authorities

It said the authorities did...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.oann.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!