The First Testament: A Pastor’s Take

Jesus Creed | 2/11/2019 | Staff
jster97 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/40/2019/02/Screen-Shot-2019-02-06-at-4.50.25-PM-250x300.png

So begins a series of reviews of John Goldingay, The First Testament.

This post is by Dan Hanlon, an Anglican missioner to Rwanda, and a student at Northern Seminary.

Translation - Teaching - Preaching - FT - Translation

What is your go-to translation for teaching, for preaching, for writing? How does FT compare with your go-to translation?

Recently my go-to translation for preaching and Bible teaching has been the English Standard Version (ESV). This isn’t necessarily my favorite, although the longer I use it the more I have gotten used to it. I use this translation mainly because it is the translation used by the church where I pastor and the community where I teach Bible. I live in Kigali, Rwanda and serve in an English speaking church and Bible school I think the ESV was chosen in these contexts for its readability for people for whom English is not a first language. The First Testament (FT) is definitely different from the ESV. While the ESV tries to be a middle-of-the-road English translation, the FT tries to maintain a tension between wooden closeness to the Hebrew, as well as similarity to common English.

Translation - Help - Students - Pastors/preachers - Readers

How can this translation help students, pastors/preachers, and Bible readers in general?

As a pastor, preacher/teacher I think this translation is helpful for the way it defamiliarizes us with the text of Scripture. I’m an Anglican priest and serve in an Anglican church. We follow a lectionary (the Revised Common Lectionary) for our Sunday readings and sermons. As I’m sure many people are aware, the lectionary progresses in a three year cycle, returning over and over to the same passages. After years of reading and preaching the lectionary those passages become pretty familiar. I think the FT slows the reader down and defamiliarizes the reader in a way that will help in sermon preparations. Preachers who are familiar with passages of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Jesus Creed
Wake Up To Breaking News!