Why Jesus commands church membership

www.christianpost.com | 1/23/2019 | Staff
AavyAavy (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://static-thechristianpost.netdna-ssl.com/files/original/thumbnail/22/96/229625.jpg

What is the central practice of the Christian life—that most crucial habit which no believer should ever endeavor to do without? It’s not personal devotions or Bible reading, as important as those are. It’s not even private prayer or attending Christian conferences. It’s not even catching BreakPoint every day.

The central practice of the Christian life, at least biblically speaking, is gathering together as Christ’s body for corporate worship, for hearing the Word, and for participating in the sacraments. “Going to church” as we say somewhat inaccurately, is the means that God has designed and determined to feed us spiritually, and to allow us to participate in that kingdom where God’s will is done on earth as in Heaven.

Church - Sunday - Christians - God - Kingdom

But just attending church isn’t enough either. Each Sunday, Christians declare not only that God’s kingdom has arrived in Christ Jesus, but that it’s being established in our lives, our families, and our congregations. That’s why no Christian is called to only a one-on-one relationship with Jesus, but to a communion that belongs both to and with one another. In other words, we’re not called to mere attendance.

Back in December, I had the honor, privilege, and joy of being ordained as a deacon in my church in Colorado Springs. As a deacon, I’m charged with serving a particular family of believers—namely, the congregation where I am a member and the larger communion of believers to which my church belongs. I’m also a member of the universal church, just like all Christians. Therefore, I often find myself worshiping and serving others who also believe that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life but with whom I’ll differ on secondary matters. But just as it is impossible to love people in general without ever loving actual neighbors, it’s impossible to be a member...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.christianpost.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
What's more plentiful, hydrogen or stupidity?