“In His Image”: A Sanctity of Human Life Sunday Address

Juicy Ecumenism | 1/20/2019 | Chelsen Vicari
monna (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://juicyecumenism.com/wp-content/uploads/baby-2717347_1280.jpg

Note: On January 20, 2019, the Institute on Religion & Democracy’s Evangelical Action Director Chelsen Vicari addressed the congregation at Skyview Baptist Church in Fancy Gap, Virginia in observance of Sanctity of Human Life Sunday. Here Chelsen shares her abridged remarks.

Thank you, church, for allowing me to share this talk about the sanctity of life with you.

Reason - Honor - Sanctity - Human - Life

The reason we pause in honor of Sanctity of Human Life Sunday is to acknowledge that this week marks the anniversary of the United States Supreme Court’s ruling in Roe v. Wade, the infamous case known to legalize abortion nationwide. The decision was handed down on January 22, 1973. So we join other churches nationwide to consider abortion’s impact on our society and how as Christians we can better strengthen our pro-life witness moving forward.

I want to tell you a brief story about how I decided to approach the topic of sacred human life with my toddler daughter. In preparation for this Sunday, I took my toddler to the library and we read the Dr. Suess book Horton Hears a Who. Maybe you’ve read it to your kids or grandkids. It is one of Dr. Suess’ more popular children’s books and has a famous line “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”

Story - Horton - Elephant - Scream - Dust

If you don’t know the story, it’s about Horton the elephant who hears a scream coming from a pellet-sized dust ball. On that small speck, tiny Whos are housed in their city of Whoville. When Horton the elephant agrees to protect the Whos from a deadly fate, a mama kangaroo tells everyone that Horton is crazy. Poor Horton is ridiculed and mocked. But Horton stands by his promise to protect his new friends, the Whos, by explaining to everyone that “Even though you can’t see them, or hear them at all,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Juicy Ecumenism
Wake Up To Breaking News!