The Cripplegate’s Top Five Books We Read in 2018

The Cripplegate | 1/15/2019 | Website
magiccastlemagiccastle (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/519OIEQgZgL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reading is perhaps the greatest tool God gives us to aid us in our sanctification. The Bible is the greatest book, and without it, we couldn’t be saved. It should be the bread and butter of our sanctification. But God has also gifted certain people with the ability to write in a way that challenges our thoughts and deepens our love for Christ.

Reading other people humbles you, reminds you that you don’t know as much as you think you do, and helps you to think better, write better and communicate better.

Writers - Cripplegate - Book - Answer

I asked the other regular writers on the Cripplegate if there was a book that stood out that they read in 2018 and here is our answer.

12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson.

Rules - Read - Year - Book - Aspects

Though I would not assert that 12 Rules was the most enjoyable read of the year, I felt it was an important book for me to interact with. Annoying aspects of the author include his mingling of Jungian thought, evolutionary philosophy, and even mythology as authoritative sources for his views. I also hate it when he talks about the Bible as a peer of secular sources. But all that said, many of Peterson’s ideas are remarkably (and accidentally) biblical. I liked the book as an exhibit proving the “all truth is God’s truth” maxim. As a psychologist, Peterson is articulating research that establishes empirically what Bible readers have known for millennia. The reason the book is useful for Christians is the same reason evidential apologetics can be: although evidences don’t prove our faith, they reinforce the faith of those who are already committed to believe the Bible. Peterson’s defenses of discipline for children, of gender distinctions, and of male leadership in marriage, are all examples of behavioral science agreeing with biblical wisdom. Psychologists are late to the truth...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Cripplegate
Wake Up To Breaking News!
To despair is to turn your back on God, you can never despair.
Tagged: