A Pastoral Prayer about Joy

Tim Challies | 1/20/2019 | Staff
ali11 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.challies.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/lightstock_403362_small_user_493488.jpg

Every now and again I like to share an example of a pastoral prayer from Grace Fellowship Church. I do this because there are few examples of pastoral prayers online and I thought these may serve to inspire themes, passages, or ideas as other pastors and elders prepare to lead their churches in prayer. Here is one I prayed before my church near the start of a new year.

This morning we want to echo the psalmist and say, “It is good to give thanks to you, O Lord. It is good to sing praises to your name. It is good to declare your steadfast love in the morning and your faithfulness by night, and to do this all of this together, together as your people called by your gospel. And we do this, Lord, because you have made us glad by your works. When we look at who you are and what you’ve done, we sing for joy. We can’t help but sing for joy, because you are so good” (Psalm 102).

Father - Presence - Presence - Presence - Joy

Father, in your presence, and in the presence of one another, and the presence of whoever else will listen, it’s our joy to declare, “the Lord is upright; he is our rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him.” There is no unrighteousness in you Lord. There is not a trace of it in your character. There is not the smallest hint of it in your works, in your ways, or in your decrees. You are only ever good. And that gives us such confidence as we come to another day, another week, another year.

Father, we’ve already asked this morning that you would forgive our sins, and so we want to receive that forgiveness, to say in your presence that we are choosing now to live as those whose...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Tim Challies
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: