Considering Seminary?

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/719/2017/03/moving-church.jpg

One of the things that struck me when reading John Scalzi’s novel Redshirts was how much theology was woven into the fabric (of those red shirts). And the fact that the central character had attended an alien seminary and, despite some ridicule and suggestion that this primed him to believe ridiculous weird stuff, his character struck just the right balance between openness to the seemingly absurd and skepticism towards the seemingly obvious to get at a surprising underlying truth.

Perhaps Redshirts is not the best way to introduce a blog post about seminary. If not, feel free to ignore what preceded. And feel free to ignore this sentence, too, in which I observe how cool it is that students at several seminaries in Chicago are interacting (1) with one another and (2) with science fiction and imagination.

Part - Conversation - Sunday - School - Class

But if the part that resonates with you meaningfully only starts here, we had a good conversation in my Sunday school class recently about the fact that we less frequently nowadays identify young people as likely candidates for ministry, and we far from often encourage them to consider that prospect early. The young people in our churches may seem devout or derailed or anything else, but rarely do we think of them as possible ministers in churches. A prophet is not without honor except in her or his own church. And so we assume that, if a calling is appropriate, that will become apparent to them later on, in the course of pursuing some other career. It is obviously awkward to serve in a professional ministry role within a community you grew up in. But there are ways we could do more to involve younger members in ministry in...
Wake Up To Breaking News!