A Graveyard Is a Good Place to Make Big Decisions

The Gospel Coalition | 1/20/2019 | Staff
k.collazi (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/18150817/graveyard-tgc.jpg

Years ago I was driving through a rural area of west Tennessee, on my way to a little cottage on the Pickwick Dam in north Mississippi, where I’d take a couple of days away to write. Much was on my mind. I had large decisions in front of me—decisions that would shape the whole course of my future. My immediate problem wasn’t the course of my future, but the course of my actual journey at the time. I was lost.

Every turn I took seemed to get me farther out into the woods and farther away from any recognizable landmark. This was before the advent of global positioning technology, and even if it were now, such technology would have done me little good, since my phone couldn’t access a signal. I turned into the first driveway I saw to tinker with my phone long enough to get a cell signal to call someone who might give me directions. It took a moment or two for me to realize that I was in a church graveyard, and my phone was still the deadest thing there.

Prompting - Everything - Pray - Time - Choice

Sometimes, not often enough, I feel a strong prompting to stop everything and pray. Sometimes, far too often, I ignore that prompting, and conclude that I’m too busy to stop. This time I had no choice but to stop. I had nowhere to go. I stopped and walked around that graveyard, and churchyard, praying for God to grant me some wisdom and discernment about the large life decision I had in front of me. As I wandered in front of the little Baptist church building, I was still praying, but my eyes were lazily scanning the red brick in front of me.

I stopped as I read the cornerstone, engraved sometime in the years before I was born. The...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a Government intervention.