‘The Collection’ Director Emmanuel Blanchard Readies First Feature

Variety | 1/19/2019 | Emilio Mayorga
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/la-collection.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Paris-born Emmanuel Blanchard studied and then taught history before becoming a documentary filmmaker responsible for films such as “Bombing War,” “Le diable de la République” and “Après la guerre.” He’s currently directing “Notre-Dame de Paris”, a 90-minute animated part-doc, part-fiction film on the building of the world-famous Paris cathedral. Competing at MyFFF, “The Collection” is his first fiction short. In it, French writer and Honorary Oscar winner Jean-Claude Carrière. Luis Buñuel’s longtime co-writer, plays a main role. Blanchard is developing his feature-debut under the working title “Brumaire.”

What is the “The Collection” about?

Merchant - Buys - Pieces - Collectors - Paris

It’s about an unscrupulous merchant who “buys” artistic pieces from Jewish collectors forced to leave Paris in the midst of the occupation of France by Nazi Germany. Informed by a janitor, he hears about Mr. Klein’s extraordinary collection.

I think it’s a stylized piece about subjugation and oppression with a puzzling development. It’s inspired by a short story by Stefan Zweig.

Script - Story

Could you talk about adapting the script from the original story?

The idea comes from one of my favorite Zweig’s short stories. But I changed a lot of it, including the historical period, to turn it into something quite different, far less good-spirited. Still, “The Collection” is inspired by Zweig in many ways. The elegance, the culture, the enlightenment of the pre-WWII European civilization, what he called the World of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!