Why Is God Withholding Marriage from Me?

Desiring God | 1/16/2019 | John Piper
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/why-is-god-withholding-marriage-from-me-8io12slq-en/landscape/why-is-god-withholding-marriage-from-me-8io12slq-dd2b64e1fa890bc5f0bc2d83893d6d97.jpg?ts=1547577755&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

Why does God withhold good things from us, his children? It’s a perennial question older than Psalm 73. And it comes in today from an anonymous woman who lives in Brooklyn. “Pastor John, hello! I’m a 26-year-old Christian woman, I’ve been saved for 9 years, and I’m single. I know the Bible says that no good thing does God withhold from those who walk uprightly (Psalm 84:11). But I feel like God is withholding marriage from me. How do I fight for joy and keep my desire for marriage in proper perspective as I wait?”

Well, since I wrote a whole book on how to fight for joy, even by that title, let me focus on the second part of this question, which I really think is the main thing. How do I keep my desire for marriage, as a single person who would like to be married, in proper perspective? Because that will then turn around and answer the other part.

Desire - Marriage - Perspective - Desire - Marriage

The desire for marriage is in proper perspective when it is a desire for marriage for Christ’s sake.

St. Augustine prayed, “He loves thee too little, O God, who loves anything together with thee which he loves not for thy sake.” He knew from the Bible that it is not wrong to desire food, or drink, or clothes, or friends, or knowledge, or health, or safety, or marriage. It’s not wrong to desire that. And he wrestled with the question, When do these legitimate desires become sin? And his answer was that they become sin when they’re not for Christ’s sake.

Kind - Person - Right - Pizza - Christ

I know there is a kind of person who would say, “That sounds ridiculously hyper-spiritual to me. Right, I want pizza for Christ’s sake. I want a glass of water for Christ’s sake. I want sex for Christ’s sake. I want...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Hell sometimes looks an awful lot like an office cubicle.
Tagged: