Why It’s Hard to Have a Conversation Online about Social Justice and the Gospel

The Gospel Coalition | 9/21/2018 | Staff
jenny1246 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://s3.amazonaws.com/tgc-web/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/01163903/6-reasons-work-hard-tgc.jpg

My pastor has been teaching through the book of Ecclesiastes, highlighting its critical message for our lives and our work, and our need for honest reflection on both. The Solomonic “preacher” of Ecclesiastes says that “under the sun”—life without reference or relationship to a transcendent God—is “vanity,” empty of sense, reason, hope, or purpose. If this world is truly “all there is,” then we are indeed in trouble—and Ecclesiastes provides as honest and true a description of this truth as can be found.

There have been countless long days during my aerospace career where I plowed hard to get through all the responsibilities and tasks. And yet sometimes, when I reached the end of the day, all that was left was a deep sigh. Is this all there is to this job?

God - List - Things - Job - Reasons

Let God transform the list of things you dislike about your job into the reasons God has called you there.

In light of Genesis 3, we can understand such frustration; it sets the stage for problems we encounter throughout our lives and, particularly, our work. God has intentionally cursed the world to remind us of our rebellion against him and our need for reconciliation with him, each other, and his world.

Ways - God - Humanity - Rejection - Eden

Here are six ways God responded to humanity’s rejection of him in Eden.

God promised that the world will include spiritual enemies seeking our harm (Gen. 3:15). Evil will exist, and we will be prone to hear and believe deceptive lies about ourselves, the world, and the value and role of work in our lives.

Promises - Satisfaction - Work - Ears - Enemy

False promises of ultimate satisfaction from our work are whispered into our ears from the enemy.

Trust and mutual support with God and each other have also been lost. Misdirected blame and self-interest entered the scene (Gen. 3:12) and are now commonplace.

Relationships - Work

Our relationships with each other at work seem...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!