The Annals of Eutychius of Alexandria (10th c. AD) – chapter 2 – part 2

Roger Pearse | 9/22/2018 | Staff
morica (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/cropped-4219138-blue-sky-blue-water-Copy.jpg

3. If someone objects that in the Torah it is written that the sons of Abraham – in another text: the sons of Israel – were slaves for four hundred years (11) and then asks why we say instead that they were slaves for two hundred and seventeen years, we answer: “You have not chosen correctly the date from which to begin to compute to get to the four hundred years. Know that it is written in the first book of the Torah that God – highest be His praise – said to Abraham: “Look up at the sky and count the stars if you can count them. Your seed will be as numerous as them.”(12) And God told him again: “I am the God who brought you out of Qarrà of the Chaldeans to bring you to this land that I will give you as an inheritance” (13). Abraham said: “My Lord, how will I know that I shall inherit it?”(14). And God answered him: “Take a young bull, a ram and a three-year-old goat, then take a turtledove and a pigeon. Divide them in half and place each half in front of the respective half, but do not divide the birds “(15). Abraham did [as God had ordered him to do]. The birds immediately rushed to the sides, but Abraham called them and they went to him. It was sunset. On Abraham there fell a deep sleep and a great fright because dense darkness had fallen on Abraham. God told Abraham: “You must know that your descendants will dwell in a land not their own and will work there and will be slaves for four hundred years. But I will judge the nation that they serve. Later they will come out and come here with great riches. As...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Roger Pearse
Wake Up To Breaking News!