Faith and Illness: Theodicy and PTSD

RevGalBlogPals | 6/20/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://revgalblogpals.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/faithand-illness_a-series.png?w=300

There is no safe space in the world.

Not your neighborhood. Not your home. Neither the middle of the forest nor the middle of the city. Not your favorite vacation spot. Not your beloved church. No place — familiar or foreign — is absolutely guaranteed to be safe.

Years - Experiences - Mind - Safety

Almost ten years of traumatic experiences & gaslighting changed my mind about safety.

Literally. Changed my mind.

Brain

Changed my brain.

The brain that, in my youth, saw the world as her oyster and laughed in the face of challenges, in my adulthood has spent nearly twenty years running on the adrenaline of fight or flight or freeze. It looks at the world through lenses that see only echoes of trauma — trauma and not joy, trauma and not hope, trauma and not Good News — and the pain that it sees, to be clear, is not delusional but experienced. It’s a veil of injury that I cannot escape, that I am ashamed to name, that my entire body-mind-spirit are constantly keyed up to identify & resist.

Problem - Results - Brain - Synapses - Defenses

And the problem that results from my brain’s synapses constantly rehearsing, re-firing, repeating their best defenses against worst case scenarios is that they biologically & spiritually allow little room to believe in restoration … little room to believe in grace … little room to believe that God is anything but responsible.

“But look at all you’ve done,” some people say, as though it’s as simple as handing me their rose-colored glasses to rewire my brain.

Nothing - People - Sense - Security - Experience

“But there’s nothing to fear here,” some people say, as though their own sense of security is more authoritative than my lived experience.

“You exaggerate your stress,” others say, as though they’d prefer that I disguise my symptoms better … or is it that I disguise my symptoms so well they don’t believe I have an illness?

PTSD - Stress - Disorder

PTSD, post-traumatic stress disorder,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: RevGalBlogPals
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: