Revised Common Lectionary: Peace, Be Still

RevGalBlogPals | 6/19/2018 | Staff
iceyy (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://revgalblogpals.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/img_0792.jpg

Last night, as I was driving home after a church council meeting, the threatening-looking clouds finally opened up. I spent the last few miles of my drive in heavy rains with thunder and lightning. I wasn’t afraid of perishing, as the disciples in the Gospel for Sunday, but I certainly had renewed appreciation for the power of a storm. I could see how someone might get to the point of such fear that the only thing that could calm them down would be the divine words, “Peace, be still,” and the immediate abatement of the wind (or rain).

There are, as usual, many other possibilities in this week’s lectionary texts – three different options for the First Lesson and Psalm! The David and Goliath story compliments the Gospel well. Someone who appears to be insignificant is able, by the grace of God, to overcome a powerful force of nature. Job 38 and Psalm 107 speak directly to the power of God over water and storms and all of creation. Which lessons are you using, and what theme speaks to you this week?

Corinthians

In 2 Corinthians,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: RevGalBlogPals
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: