Solo: A Star Wars Story nabs No. 1 at box office with $83.3m, well below expectations for the prequel

Mail Online | 5/27/2018 | Bobbie Whiteman For Dailymail.com
chrismpotts (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/05/27/23/4C9A010700000578-0-image-a-81_1527461037204.jpg

Solo: A Star Wars Story, the latest prequel in the hugely popular film franchise, nabbed the No. 1 spot at the local box office but struggled to achieve escape velocity with an estimated $83.3 million take.

It's now predicted to take just $101 million over the four-day Memorial Day weekend, according to Time.

Chunk - Change - Analysts - Expectations - Disney-Lucasfilm

Although that sounds like a hefty chunk of change, it falls far below analysts' expectations for the Disney-Lucasfilm blockbuster directed by Ron Howard and starring Alden Ehrenreich as a young Han Solo.

They had suggested Solo would rake in between $130 million to $150 million and possibly set a Memorial Day weekend record.

Space - Saga - Prequel - Weekend

That looks unlikely now as the space saga prequel only nabbed $65 million overseas for the regular three-day weekend.

Last weekend's No. 1 film, Deadpool 2 took second spot with a four-day estimate of $53.5 million.

Total - Overseas

That brings its North American total to $207 million plus a stunning $280 million from overseas...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep