Give Ulster's women a choice on abortion, PM is told: May could now be pushed into a referendum in Northern Ireland as the DUP says it will not be 'bullied' into changing the law

Mail Online | 5/27/2018 | John Stevens Deputy Political Editor For The Daily Mail
smnth28 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/05/27/22/4CB0100200000578-0-image-a-13_1527456832559.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/05/27/2546477350812890729/1024x576_MP4_2546477350812890729.mp4

Theresa May was last night on a collision course with her DUP allies over abortion rights in Ulster.

The Prime Minister congratulated the winning side after the Republic of Ireland’s referendum, which she praised as an ‘impressive show of democracy’.

Tweet - Speculation - Westminster - Mrs - May

Her tweet led to speculation in Westminster that Mrs May could be pushed by prominent female Tory colleagues into imposing a change in the law in Northern Ireland, or calling a referendum there.

But the Democratic Unionist Party made clear that the province would not be ‘bullied’ on the issue, which it insisted was for local politicians to decide on.

Mrs - May - Act - Cabinet - Abortion

Mrs May is managing a difficult balancing act between those in her own Cabinet, who want abortion made legal in Northern Ireland, and the DUP, whose votes she needs in the Commons to keep Brexit on track.

Arlene Foster, the DUP leader, last night said the Irish abortion referendum will have no impact on law north of the border.

Mrs - May - Chorus - Demands - Tory

However, Mrs May faced a chorus of demands from Tory women to resolve the ‘anomalous’ situation in Northern Ireland following Saturday’s referendum result, which saw 66 per cent of voters back liberalisation.

A string of Tories signalled they would be prepared to work with Labour to rewrite the law banning abortions in Northern Ireland in the absence of a devolved government in Stormont, which collapsed more than a year ago. Labour last night said it was now ‘looking at legislative options’ to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do I know who I am?