Discipling Families in a Multi-Ethnic Lifestyle

Summit Life with J.D. Greear | 5/21/2018 | Staff
joseph76 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://jdgreear.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/MG_3483.jpg

This guest post comes from Blair Waggett, the Kids Director at our Chapel Hill campus. At the encouragement of several of our African American pastors, Blair offered to share some of how he and his family are pursuing a multi-ethnic lifestyle.

My hope in writing this is that you will hear the heart of a family pursuing Christ-like community in our own home, while simultaneously embracing our mistakes and shortcomings. It is my prayer that I don’t appear as a self-righteous white guy. I have a lot to learn, but I have also learned a lot. As part of the majority culture, my prayer is that we can greatly impact the climate of healthy biblical change at our church. Therefore, my primary audience is other people within the majority culture. I also humbly ask for grace and mercy from our minority families, whose wisdom I continue to need as we disciple our families better.

Daddy - Kids - Wilmington - NC - Surprise

I am a daddy of three kids (5, 2 1/2, and 1). I grew up in Wilmington, NC, and to most it’s a surprise when they find out about the home I grew up in. My dad is biracial (white and Filipino) and my mom is white. As part of the Asian culture, an athlete, and a pretty sick musician, my dad had the blessing of being able to walk both the white and non-white side of the fence growing up in the 1960s & ‘70s. He had black friends, white friends, Filipino friends, and Samoan friends. This lifestyle permeated my thought process as a child. My closest friends have almost always looked different than me. Some of my own family members don’t even look like me. I’ve always been most comfortable around multi-ethnic communities.

Yet, despite that comfort, I haven’t always understood multi-ethnicity, nor have I always respected...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Summit Life with J.D. Greear
Wake Up To Breaking News!